Students undergo clinical training in various departments and are actively involved in ward rounds and therapeutic care management under the supervision of the physicians and consultants of the respective departments.
To provide quality patient care, the college has established a Patient Counselling Centre and Drug Information Centre (DIC) at the Hospital. DIC provides up-to-date information on drug profiles, adverse drug reactions, drug interactions, dosage and pharmacokinetics and can be accessed by all doctors. Queries can be sent to email@example.com.
National Board of Examinations
The VHS Hospital is a recognised and accredited institution by the National Board of Examinations for courses in the branches of Neurosurgery, General Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
The institution has an excellent teaching faculty for these courses by utilising the services of experts in the respective branches, who are having vast experience in post-graduate teaching, from Government and Non-Government institutions.
There has been an exchange of students from other major accredited institutions (like Public Health Centres, the Railway Hospital, etc.). Many CME programmes, panel discussions, symposia with journal clubs, and workshops are being conducted in the hospital in order to update the academic knowledge of Diplomate of National Board (DNB) students. The students are also deputed to such programmes conducted in other institutions.
List of DNB thesis during the year 2017-18
- To assess the efficacy of percutaneous catheter instillation of local anaesthetics for post-operative pain relief in inguinal hernia repair. (Completed during 2017-18)
- Determination of the Concordance rate between core needle biopsy (CNB) and Post-Operative histopathology of the resected surgical specimen for accurate evaluation of hormonal and prognostic receptor status in breast carcinoma (On-going)
- Correlation of BISAP (Beside Index in Severity of Acute Pancreatitis score outcome in patients with Acute pancreatitis) (Future)
- Management protocols in Temporal Lobe contusions prospective and retrospective study. (Completed during 2017-18)
- Outcome in Surgery for cervical spondylotic Mylopathy – A Prospective Study. (Completed during 2017-18)
- MIB-I Index in High grade Glioma and its prognostic correlation (Completed during 2017-18)
- Lumboperitoneal shunt in the management of Pseudo tumour Cerebri (Ongoing)
- Auditory brain stem Implant & factors affecting its outcome in patients with congenital deafness (Ongoing)
- Role of tranexemic acid in chronic subdural haematoma (Future)
GYNAECOLOGY & OBSTETRICS
- Factors influencing initiation and continuation of Breast feeding in Urban South Indian women (Completed during 2017-18)
- Correlation of Early pregnancy lipid profile with development of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (Completed during 2017-18)
- Outcome of Pregnancy in women with Sub Clinical Hypothyroidism (Completed during 2017-18)
- Thyroid Functional Aberration in Abnormal Uterine bleeding and Infertility (Ongoing)
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria and its outcome in pregnancy (Ongoing)
Formal and non-formal training is offered at the Model Health cum Training Centre at Thuraipakkam.
Formal training covers students under DNB (Family Medicine), MD (Community Medicine), Compulsory Rotatory Resident Internship (CRRI), M.Sc. (Nursing), and B.Sc. (Nursing) courses, and other para-medicals.
Non-formal training is on a need basis, primarily for in-house training as well as catering to requests from other organisations.
Ragas Dental College
Third-year Dental students are deputed to VHS for Clinical training in General Surgery and General Medicine. The consultants and medical officers of VHS function as faculty for the training. VHS is also recognised by the Dr. MGR Medical University for conducting the examination for these students.MDS students from Ragas Dental College were also sent to VHS for internship in specialities.
Students from Various institutions were deputed to our Hospital for practical training as detailed below:
Students from Velumailu Siddha Medical College and Hospital and Velumailu Ayurveda Medical College and Hospital, had clinical training in General Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Paediatrics.
SMART Academy conducts training sessions for the candidates who appear for MRCPCH examination under the leadership of Dr. Rajkumar.